Sunday, October 9, 2011

How To: Shrink Plastic jewelry



Remember Shrinky Dinks??? They’re not just for summer camp and sleepovers anymore, folks! I desperately needed a pair of Steelers earrings for a game I was about to go to, so I decided I would attempt to make them using the Shrinky Dink film I had recently purchased for funsies! Using permanent markers, a hole punch, and my oven, I created a pair of cute and game-worthy Steelers earrings in less than fifteen minutes!



Here are the instructions:
Materials:
-Permanent markers (I used red, yellow, blue, and black in standard tip and a black, fine point)
-Hole punch
-Shrinky Dink film
-oven
Instructions:
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
2. Print out Steelers logo (I simply searched “Google Images” and enlarged it as needed) Note: Make sure the logo you choose is approximately 4-5 times the size of the finished product, as it will shrink significantly.
3. Placing the Steelers logo under the Shrinky Dink film, use permanent markers to trace and fill in the logo onto the film. You will obviously be making two of these to have a complete pair of earrings (unless you’re going for the pirate or Mr. Clean approach, in which case one is plenty!).
4. After the ink has dried on the film, cut out the logos, leaving extra room at the top of the logos as needed where you  wish to make holes
5. Use the hole punch to create a hole at the top of both logos
6. Place your completed logos on a wax paper-lined cookie sheet and bake for about 3 minutes.
7. Remove the cookie sheet from the oven and let the pieces cool
8. After pieces are cool, use needle nose pliers to attach an ear hook wire to each logo

Another example of jewelry made using Shrinky Dinks

How can I make Steelers earrings without repping for the Penguins, too?


Some festive Shrinky Dink earrings for Fall


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing your feedback and getting your ideas, so bring 'em on!!!