Monday, August 1, 2011

My Buddy and Kid Sister Halloween Costumes








Not only is Halloween my favorite holiday, it brings out the competitor in me. My sisters-in-law host an annual Halloween party, which includes a new theme each year with high stakes costume competitions (Pizza Hut gift cards, Heck yes!!!) for individuals and couples. Fortunately for me, my husband is a great sport about it and wears whatever I make for him so that we coordinate appropriately for the theme. Two years ago, the theme was “80’s.” I knew I wanted to make costumes based on toys/games of the 80’s, but nothing too obvious (aka-PacMan, Cabbage Patch Dolls, My Little Pony, etc.). After a TON of brainstorming (because costume-making is not a sprint, it’s a marathon, people!), I decided on Jason and I dressing up as My Buddy and Kid Sister! For Jason’s costume, I couldn’t find a striped shirt I deemed “My Buddy appropriate,” so I bought a yellow t-shirt and painted stripes (except for the blue stripes…I used painter’s tape for those to save myself some time) on it and paired it with a pair of old denim overalls I found at my mom’s house. For my costume, I bought a white pair of painter’s overalls online and used a ruler and pink paint marker to make pinstripes on them and found a long sleeve shirt that looked cutesy enough to use under the overalls. With the addition of a red hat and yellow label for Jason’s overalls, a white visor, label, and pink ribbons for my hair, and eye liner to use as freckles for both of us, our costumes were complete!

8 comments:

  1. I need your costumes. i love it!!!! how did you make them?
    can you email me details.
    miranda.thomas18@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, how adorable! My son had a my buddy when he was little. Now that commercial is racing through my mind - my buddy and me . . . :) Thanks for sharing at Throwback Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my gosh, that is hilarious! I haven't thought about those toys/commercials in so long, but was that not the catchiest jingle? my buddy and me. coming over from the throwback party.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you both so much for visiting (and sorry for the song in your head)! The theme of the party that year was "The 80's," and I wanted to do something different where there would be no risk of others in similar costumes. I can assure you we were the only ones, haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh haha! Obviously I don't read other comments before I add my thoughts - glad I'm not the only one who immediately heard the song in my head!

      Delete
  5. Fun! Such a great idea! I always hope to pull out a genius costume idea like this one - someday... You guys look great and the song is now stuck in my head!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How did I miss this post!! I am sitting here giggling like a littke girl!!! So freaking cute!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi. I am going to an 80's party and my friend and I are going as My Buddy & Kid Sister. Can you please help me out and tell me where you got the outfits or where you went to have them made? Thank you so much for your time. Those costumes look amazing!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing your feedback and getting your ideas, so bring 'em on!!!