Monday, December 5, 2011

How To: Scrabble Tile Pendant-Autism Awareness

Autism Awareness Scrabble tile necklace

So, I tend to develop a new, craft-related obsession every few weeks, whether it be a new craft material I’ve discovered or an awesome project I’ve found online (this is the part where I plug www.pinterest.com once again!). This week, my obsession is SCRABBLE TILES!!! Who knew you could do so much with game pieces and some craft materials (which I happen to have a few of)! My first Scrabble tile-related craft is a pendant.
As a teacher of children with Autism, I not only have the privilege of working with some amazing kids, but also with incredibly dedicated, caring, and gifted adults. In my classroom, I have three other women who work with me on a daily basis which (just ask my husband) isn’t always easy. Despite the challenges that our students present, these women handle every situation with positivity, humor, and grace. When it came to figuring out appropriate Christmas gifts to give them, I knew it had to be something appropriate to what we do on a daily basis and made with love.
The fantastic thing about Scrabble tile pendants is that you can virtually use any picture of your choosing as the centerpiece of the jewelry. Since the symbol for Autism Awareness is a multi-colored puzzle piece, my choice of picture was simple.
Here are the instructions to make your own:
Materials
*Square bail plate (sized a little smaller than a Scrabble pendant)
*Scrabble tile
*Picture printed and cut out to fit Scrabble tile
*Modge Podge
*foam paint brush
*necklace chain

Directions
1. Using a very sturdy, craft epoxy (Tacky glue or a hot glue gun simply won’t cut it, folks!), glue the bail plate (I bought mine in a pack of four at Hobby Lobby) to the lettered side of the Scrabble tile. Let dry overnight.


2. Print out an image of your choice to fit the blank side of the Scrabble tile. Note: An average Scrabble tile is 2 cm. x 1 ½ cm, or .75 inch  x .83 inch and cut out.


3. Using your foam brush, brush a layer of Modge Podge onto the blank side of the Scrabble tile.



4. Adhere your picture to the Scrabble tile. Give it a few minutes to dry a bit so that it does not slide all over the pendant for the next part.
5. Paint a heavier but consistent level of Modge Podge over the top of your picture. Let dry and paint on another layer.
6. After the pendant dries, spray an acrylic sealer over the picture-side of the pendant
7. Once the pendant is completely dry, string the necklace chain through the loop at the top of the pendant.

Voila! Easy breezy!!! PS-If you know any of my classroom assistants, mum’s the word until Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing your feedback and getting your ideas, so bring 'em on!!!