Sunday, April 7, 2013

Autism Awareness Puzzle Piece Wreath



April is Autism Awareness Month! As an Autism Support teacher, I recognize the dire importance of helping people understand what Autism is and isn't, not only this month, but as often as I possibly can. Did you know that 1 in 88 children are affected with Autism (1 in 54 boys) and that it affects 2 million people in the US alone? Of the $30.86 BILLION dollars allotted to the National Institutes of Health in 2012, only $169 million went directly to research on Autism. Further proof that education and awareness are key!

My students never cease to amaze me on a regular basis, and I am so fortunate to be their teacher. I feel it is our job to speak out for these individuals, particularly for those that cannot do so for themselves!

 To celebrate Autism Awareness month, my students created these puzzle piece wreaths. Autism is represented by puzzle pieces to highlight the puzzle that is the disorder and to honor those working tirelessly to piece things together to determine possible causes, prevention, and methods of treatment.  Here are the steps we took to create these awesome decorations that I will hang proudly in my classroom and home in honor of these incredible individuals.

Materials:

-cardboard ring (ours were 10" in diameter)
-light blue construction paper
-scissors
-glue
-large puzzle pieces
-red, yellow, green, and blue acrylic paint
-paint brush
-hole punch
-blue ribbon-approx. 6"
-Autism Awareness ribbon (we found ours in the craft section of Wal-Mart)-approx. 8"

Instructions:

1. Trace the cardboard ring onto the light blue, construction paper
2. Cut along the traced lines
3. Glue the light blue ring to the cardboard ring so that the cardboard is not seen
4. Paint the non-printed sides of 10 puzzle pieces and let dry
5. Glue puzzle pieces around the ring
6. After the glue is dry, use the hole punch to make a hole at the top of the ring
7. String the blue ribbon through the hole and tie both sides of the string together
8. Loop the Autism awareness ribbon and glue to the bottom center of the ring

Please take a moment to look through this incredible website and share it with others, because the more educated we become, the closer we get to putting this puzzle together!


Hanging proudly in our school's hallway


5 comments:

  1. I'd love one of these wreaths to hang on my door for the month of April!! You guys should make them to sell for Fundraising purposes or something!
    Your kids are incredibly fortunate to have you for their teacher! Your patience and gentle leading always amaze me!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great idea!!! Hmmm...may have to see what we can come up with as far as the fundraising is concerned. And thanks for the props! As challenging as the job can be sometimes, I am very fortunate to do what I do!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are linked to my site (if I was successful) and I'd love to subscribe to yours by email or RSS feed by Google but found neither option. I'm not using google plus not. In CT we've sold roses for autism, had runs, his school got a restaurant to chip in part of what was sold, etc. If I may have permission to copy your wreath in more durable, outdoor-friendly material, I'd sell them through local ads (no shipping),facebook, my blog and yours if you'd like, with 100% of profit going to autism research and/or support.
    Janet

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for the shoutout on your blog! I am truly honored! I would love it if you would copy and sell the wreath with profits going toward ASD. Just out of curiosity, which organization are you more prone to donate?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Visiting from the Show Off Your Stuff Party. My Family-Focused Monday hop is live now and I would love to see one of your awesome posts linked up @ www.mondaykidcorner.blogspot.com.

    Have a wonderful week.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing your feedback and getting your ideas, so bring 'em on!!!