Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Chalkboard Mail Sorter


One of my New Year's resolutions for this year was to GET ORGANIZED! The first week of January, I found myself making lists, organizing closets, creating calendars and agendas...you name it, I attempted to organize it! While most of my organization has fallen (tremendously) by the wayside, I am super happy with the way this revamped, wall organizer turned out and continue to use it on a regular basis (as does my husband...which makes this a true miracle)! 
I found a mail sorter in excellent shape (but about as outdated as bellbottoms) at my local thrift store, similar to the ones shown above. With a little love and a lot of spray paint, I think I've successfully been able to welcome it into 2014. Here's how...

Materials:

-hanging wall organizer
-sand paper
-spray paint in the color of your choice (I used a Krylon shade of gray)
-Krylon, chalkboard spray paint
-painter's tape

Directions:

1. Use sand paper to rough up organizer

2. Spray the organizer with two coats of chalkboard paint, aiming primarily toward the middle sections, as those will be the sections that can be written on. You may have noticed that I attempted to paint the organizer gray first. Ooops! Do as I say, not as I do (thanks for those gems of wisdom, dad)!
3. After the paint had dried, place painter's tape over the three, middle sections of the organizer, creating rectangular shapes (mine were about 2"x4" but will vary depending upon your findings).

4. Spray the organizer entirely with two coats of gray paint.

5. Once the paint is completely dry, hang and label accordingly. I decided mine would best be used for writing utensils, bills, and mail.

Here's to any and all attempts at organization in 2014!!!






2 comments:

  1. I like the chalkboard labels. Nice update to an old mail sorter :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Amber! I love a good revamp!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing your feedback and getting your ideas, so bring 'em on!!!