Sunday, March 30, 2014

Pennsylvania State of Mind



If you haven't yet signed up for Pick Your Plum, DO IT NOW!!! The items they sell are at a ridiculously reduced price and unlike other items you've seen before! Recently, they sold unfinished, wooden plaques shaped like all 50 states. Since my sister lives in Virginia but will always call Pennsylvania her home, I knew I had to decorate a state for her! Since she also loves Chevron patterns, I decided I would incorporate that, as well! Here's the simple way I decided to decorate this plaque...

Materials:

-plaque
-scrapbook paper (I used a Chevron pack I found at Michael's and used purple and green Chevron, but the options or limitless)
-Mod Podge
-foam brush
-scissors
-glue gun/sticks
-ribbon (about 6")


Instructions:

1. Using a foam brush, coat a thick layer of Mod Podge onto the plaque

2. Lay purple Chevron paper on top of the Mod Podge, making sure to smooth out the paper so that there are no bubbles (I had to use two pieces of paper and match them at the seems but would highly recommend using a piece larger than the plaque itself


3. After the paper has adhered completely to the Mod Podge, use scissors to cut the excess paper around the small details on the plaque to maintain the state's shape


4. Cut out a small heart in green Chevron. Place Mod Podge on back of heart and adhere to center of plaque (or, if you'd like to designate a specific part of the state, place it in the corresponding area).

5. Paint a layer of Mod Podge over the top of the plaque. Let dry.

6. Using hot glue, make a loop with the ribbon and adhere to the back of the plaque. Be sure to use a large amount of glue to allow the ribbon to stay in place and hold the weight of the plaque when hanging).




1 comment:

I love hearing your feedback and getting your ideas, so bring 'em on!!!