Friday, July 5, 2013

Claire's 1st Birthday Panda Party



It is still so hard to believe my little munchkin is a year old! When people tell you how quickly the time goes by with a little one, you assume its cliche...until it happens to you! As you may or may not know, I love me some theme parties, and since this is probably the only time in her life Claire cannot tell me exactly what kind of party she wants, my hubby and I decided on a panda theme, because of our love of all things panda bears (don't ask...). You might be surprised to know there are very few panda party supplies out there...enter craft nerd! Claire's outfit consisted of a pink onesie and two appliques found at my fave, Hobby Lobby. Her skirt was made from pink ribbon and bright pink, lime green, black, and white tulle. You can find instructions for making a tutu using these materials HERE!
http://bebehblog.com/the-most-unnecessary-craft-tutorial-ever-baby-tutu/

Colors chosen to go along with this theme were black and white polka dot, pink, and lime green. I found pink and green tablecloths at Five Below and taped down black and white polka dot streamers to the middle of each table (streamers, along with pink, green, and polka dot balloons were purchased at HL). Each guest received a fortune cookie to go along with the panda/China-theme (and who doesn't love fortune cookies!).

I used plastic, iced tea jugs as a base for these panda centerpieces. Faces were cut out of sticky-backed felt and google eyes were adhered to black spots using a low-temp, glue gun. Black, duct tape was wrapped around each jug for the panda's chest, while rectangular pieces of tape were cut and folded so that there was a short tail of duct tape remaining to stick onto the jugs for ears. Ears were rounded off using scissors. Arms were cut out of black felt and adhered to the jug using small pieces of black, duct tape. Balloons were then easily tied to the handles of the jugs.


 


Panda decor proved to be pretty easy to find, considering all of the stuff we have sitting around our house. The smash cake was created using a bear cake pan purchased at Michael's, cake mix ('aint nobody got time fo' cake made from scratch!), white icing, and black sprinkles that my awesomely, creative sister-in-law helped me place in all the appropriate places to make it look like a panda. Panda cupcakes were based loosely on a Pinterest picture I had seen. Ears and black behind the eyes were made with baking chocolate discs and noses made with regular, chocolate chips. We placed a little icing on the backs of candy eyes and placed them on top of the baking discs to complete our masterpieces!


Lovely panda cutout models

Panda cutouts were made using foam core boards (purchased at my local dollar store) and black paint, and scissors and kiddos' favor bags were created using white, paper bags, black cardstock, and a low-temp, glue gun. Since the contents of the girls' favor bags were a little different than the boys', I also glued some pink bows to the girlie bags!


The banners read "Happy 1st Birthday Claire" and were made using fabric cut into triangles and sewn onto white ribbon and sticky-backed, felt letters. The pandas below the banner featured monthly pictures of Claire on their bellies.

 

I found green, paper, lanterns at my local craft store and transformed white, paper lanterns into hanging pandas using a permanent marker for the face and black cardstock for the ears. Claire's chair cover was made using a white pillowcase decorated with black felt made to look like a panda face. This was a super, easy project that I would highly recommend for any birthday theme!
 
Claire's chair cover, table centerpiece, and the birthday girl (in panda outfit #2 due to the cake massacre) checking out some gifts
Total cake demolition






Bubble and water-play stations were set up outside for antsy kiddos...an absolute must for summer, birthday parties!

 


14 comments:

  1. This just made me want to do it all over again!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a little cutie! I love the idea of the panda theme! Happy birthday to your little one :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lisa! She is the love of our lives! I will pass on to her your birthday wishes ;) Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  3. This is so charming! adorable! You've raised the bar for future birthdays! LOL Happy Birthday to your little cutie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Thanks, Christina! I keep telling people the next birthday (and the next and the next...) will be "lame" in comparison, but I know myself and I will use any excuse to craft a party together, so I guess only time will tell...Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. Aw, so cute! I love everything you did with this party, especially the adorable milk jug Panda centerpieces! So creative!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Angela! The centerpieces were Pinterest-inspired with a twist! God bless Pinterest!

      Delete
  5. Such a cute party! I love the panda theme. Everything looks great, I bet it was a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, Bethany! We had such a great time!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. As a fellow Panda lover, I'd say you did a fantastic job! Is 49 to old for a cute panda party? I want one for my next birthday :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! And you should ABSOLUTELY have your own panda party! Age is just a number anyway! Let me know if I can be of any assistance ;)

      Delete
  8. Wishing you were closer to craft mine, but the buckets are the BEST!!!!!!!!!! My party will not have as much Garfield as Claire had pandas, but since I'm going to be 50 and not 1, I figured I'd do some Garfield, and then some more grown up aspects...I mean after all, I guess I do need to think about growing up sooner or later!!! <3 Still heart broken that we missed this party!!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fabulous panda themed birthday bash. I am overwhelmed to see these pictures here. Anyway, I also have to organize my daughter’s birthday and have been seeking suggestions for most affordable party venue New York. If you have any recommendations then please share.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing your feedback and getting your ideas, so bring 'em on!!!